The Education & Training Committee of the IAF was esttablished on May 11th, 1997 during the World Apparel Convention in Hong Kong.
Education is a strategic issue for the global fashion industry. Companies operating globally must be able to connect to a global network of fashion educators. Top companies must be able to find global top talent. The mission of the IAF Education Committee is therefore to act as a forum that enables (knowledge) exchange between companies involved in the apparel chain and fashion universities and colleges. IAF offers educational institutes and their students unique access to a global network of apparel companies and vice versa.
The Education Committee will ensure that members of the IAF have first hand information about:
- relevant research that is being undertaken
- training, professional development and undergraduate & postgraduate programmes
- educational programmes to support recruitment, retention, career progression and succession planning
- live projects in collaboration with industry
- providing a platform for discussion and a network for advice
The inaugural chairman was Mr. Tom Edge, CBE who was at the time chairman of CAPITB Trust. He was succeeded by Professor Edward Newton of the Hong Kong Polytechnic, and thereafter Dr. Angela Peers of the Manchester Metropolitan University. The current chairman is Souraya Bouwmans-Sarraf.
Currently, the main focus of the IAF Education Committee is on the relaunch of the IAF International Student Award.